Keep a Clean Driving Record with Texas Drive Safe
Are you one of the millions of Texas drivers who received a ticket for speeding or some other moving violation?
TexasDriveSafe.com has a State Approved online defensive driving course that offers convenience and flexibility that other course options cannot provide to keep your ticket off your driving record.
We are the defensive driving course online Texans trust. Located in Sugar Land, Texas, we are locally owned and operated and will provide you with a great online course experience at the lowest price allowed by Texas law.
If you're running late to meet your court deadline, we can help! Just choose one of our express options for certificate delivery.
Requirements for Taking a Texas Defensive Driving Course
If you wish to take your Texas defensive driving course online for traffic ticket dismissal, you should read the following requirements.
- Before taking a defensive driving course, you must first request permission from the court either on or before the date assigned to you on your notice to appear / ticket.
- The State of Texas stipulates that you must not have completed an approved driver safety course for another citation within 12 months prior to the date of your current offense. (Taking the course for an insurance discount only does not count).
- Must have a valid driverís license.
Note: If you have committed a Texas seat belt violation, and the court requires that you take an online seat belt course, you can do that with TexasDriveSafe.com too!
If you are not sure whether to take the seat belt or defensive driving course, we recommend that you contact the court. Texas courts have the authority to allow a driver to attend a defensive driving course for seat belt violations in the majority of situations, so it is best to double check before registering.
Obtaining Permission from a Texas Court
If you decide that you would like to avoid points and keep your driving record as clean as possible by taking a defensive driving course, we recommend that you read the traffic ticket or other documentation provided by the law enforcement officer for specific instructions. Typically, your ticket will show a date that you must either appear in court to dispute the ticket OR notify them of your intention to take a defensive driving course or pay the full fine amount.
If you choose to take a defensive driving course, the following are the three main ways to notify the court:
- In Person Request – You can always physically go to the court and notify the clerk of the court that you would like to take a defensive driving course to keep the ticket off your record.
- Written Request for Permission – You are also permitted to make your request in writing. This is a useful option for out of state or drivers that live a long distance from the court presiding over their ticket. This request can sometimes be found on the back of the ticket.
- Telephone Request – Some Texas courts will also allow you to call and request permission to attend the Texas defensive driving course.
Regardless of the method you choose to notify the court, the important thing is that you do so before the appearance date shown on your ticket. Once the court determines you are eligible, they will give you a new deadline date (typically 90 days) to complete a TEA approved driver safety course (also known as a defensive driving course) and return the completion certificate to the court. Sometimes the court may also require that you get a copy of your driving record which can be ordered online at www.texasonline.com
About Your Texas Driving Record
In addition to the certificate of completion you will receive at the end of our course, most Texas courts will also require that you provide a copy of your Texas driving record as part of the Texas ticket dismissal process. Donít overpay for this document! You can order it online very quickly and for the cheapest price directly through the Texas Department of Public Safety at Texasonline.com. You must fill out the form on their website and pay any applicable fees for this service.